Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Give the Silent Treatment...

My mom told me that there is an article in Money Magazine about renovating your home and how to save money.  There are some interesting tips on dealing with contractors.

1.  Negotiate:  Let them know that they have competition.  - I have about 2-3 contractors for each project coming.  They all come recommended, either by Angie's List or through friend's recommendations.
2. Set a low bar: This says you should mention a price about 20% less than you're expecting to pay.  This will make the contractor scoff but it will also help him know that you're on a budget.
3.  Take a collaborative approach: My husband has a demanding schedule, so I'm the one dealing with the contractors.  They are going to know that, me, the female knows nothing about these projects and what has to be done.  But that also gives me the opportunity to ask about the process and each step involved.  It also gives me the chance to ask about ways we can cut the costs.  i.e.  for the HVAC guy, is it automatically in his plan to remove the old system?  We can do that ourselves and remove the wall baseboards all around the house.
4.  Give the Silent treatment:  This step is my favorite.  When the contractor gives their opening bid, be silent for a bit and if they have any wiggle room, they might come down before you even say anything.

To read the entire article - go to money.cnn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment