Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Upcycle - top 10 projects for a Cereal Box


I'm taking a break from house hunting to watch 5 of my brother's kids in Oregon. It's been an adventure! The ages range from 16 to 3 - so we've got all kinds of interests. I'm taking the easy route this weekend. We had cereal for breakfast (and I think they've eaten it for snacks and post-dinner and all times of the day). We've gone through 3+ boxes of cereal since Friday. I think we'll make it until the parents come home tomorrow. So, I thought I'd look for some great things you can do with cereal boxes. Here is the top 10 of what I'd like to try:
  • 3-D Cardboard Star.  I love stars and Americana.  My first real home post-college was decorated in red-white-and-blue.  There is also a great tutorial on BrandysCrafts.blogspot.com







  • DIY Cereal Box Organizer.  This is found on Organizingmadefun.blogspot.com - It's part of 31 days to {cheaply} organize your home.  I like creating ways to organize, my problem is I end up with so many ways to organize I forget my method of choice.  But this is fun and can be really cute on a desk.  




  • Hanging Paper organizer.  I think I'd like to use this on my fridge for mail.  The directions are found on "There's A Hole in my Bucket".  It looks even more simple than the Cereal Box Organizer above.  Also, if you've seen the suggested up cycle idea to use the clips from clothing store plastic hangers, there might be a way to turn the clips into magnets.  Any thoughts on that?  





  • Paper city outlines.  I think this would make a great backdrop for a nativity scene - I know, past the season for 2011 but we can always plan ahead for 2012 right?!  This is from a great site - Minico.co.uk.  I really like her ideas.  


  • Cereal Box Sunburst Mirror.  This is one of my favorite ideas.  I love it!  I would even go one step farther and spray paint it white.  Or you could dip it in paper mache to make it look like pottery.  I'm not sure where the directions are on this.  You can look up www.bystephanielynn.com. She lists a bunch of options for sunburst mirrors that would be really fun in the house.  


  • Cereal Box Journal: This is from the Long thread.  You use the inside for the outside.  It is a great blank canvas for all kinds of art.  It requires a sewing machine (I never would have guessed by looking at the picture) but sounds great!





  • Embossing plates - diy:  This is from MelStampz.blogspot.com.  If you have a cuttlebug, than this sounds like a great way to make your own embossing plates.   
 






  • Thread Organizer.  The tops/ends of the cereal boxes are the perfect size for organizing thread.  You can cut them off about 2+ inches from the end and recover or paint.  
  • Bins.  If you buy the bulk size cereal from Costco, just cut off the top to the height you want and recover with fabric.  
What ideas do you have?  Post a link to what you've done with cereal boxes.  Hopefully, I'll have a house bigger than 500 square feet in the next few months and can start these projects.  









No comments:

Post a Comment