Pages

Saturday, January 28, 2012

7 Ways to Precycle, Upcycle, and DIY Your Way to (Almost) Never Recycling Again

TLC wrote an article about ways you can upcycle your home.  I thought there were some great tips in this blog, "7 Ways to Precycle, Upcycle, and DIY Your Way to (Almost) Never Recycling Again".
1.  Buy in Bulk - this tip suggests that going to the Big Box stores like the one Mike calls my favorite store aka Costco, help with recycling because you have less packaging.  I never thought about it that way.  We live in a small one-bedroom condo until we find our house.  It's hard for us to buy things in bulk.  I've added baskets to go above the kitchen cupboards, allowing us to hide all the extra things we have.  We also have a plethora of paper towels because we bought them on sale and in bulk.
2. Ditch Disposables - this is about subsitituting single-use items with cloth and other items that are washable.  I'm guilty of using these items.  When I babysat my 5 nieces and nephews last week, I had them use disposable cups, plates, bowls and utensils.  If we hadn't, we would have run the dishwasher 2+ times each day.  I seriously wonder if the amount of water we saved from washing the real dishes would equal the cost of the disposable items.  This is where the being green comes in.  We didn't reduce our carbon footprint by using these items.  I'm still curious about the water usage vs. the cost of the items we used. Any thoughts?
3. Upcycle - this is my favorite tip. It's the whole purpose for this blog.  I love finding new ways to use things.  I love watching Pinterest for ideas on upcycling and making things look like they are from fancy stores.  For example, I love the toilet paper rolls being used for wall decor. I never would have guessed they could become so fancy looking.
4. Think Outside the Kitchen - this is a tip similar to #1 - it's making us consider buying items that use less packaging.
5.  Stop getting junk mail.
6. Read your magazines & newspapers online. Another tip I'm guilty of ignoring.  I love magazines. A few years ago, when I moved to the northwest,  I was so excited to have a permanent home for more than one year that I finally allowed myself to buy magazines. I have boxes of magazines now!  I am convinced that I will use the magazines and organize the tips and ideas by topic and of course UpCycle some crafts out of all the ads that are in the magazines.  Of course, this is a someday project.  The space that my magazines take up might not be worth the keeping of them?  
7.Make your own - this is a tip I want to work on.  I've got a running list of diy soap, medicine, detergents, cleaning solutions that use natural products.  I really think this would be healthier and hopefully cheaper.  This is something I've put off doing until we live in something bigger than our 1 bedroom condo.  Someday soon, I HOPE!


Well, Mike and I are celebrating our 8th month of marriage today.  Mike made me a steak dinner and we're heading out to a movie in a few minutes.  Have a great weekend y'all.  Check out the full article on TLC here.

No comments:

Post a Comment